Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Not sure where I got this recipe, I think Sandridge Ward Cookbook, and it is a keeper in our family, my kids always request what they want me to fix for their birthday dinner and this was Shauna's favorite!

Sweet N Sour Chicken
Chicken Breasts or Tenders
3 Eggs
Flour
2 Tblsp Oil

Sauce:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup Pineapple Juice
1 cup vinegar
6  Tblsp Ketchup
2  Tblsp Soy Sauce
1 tsp salt
For Sauce: 
Combine sauce ingredients over medium heat and bring to a boil.  While the sauce is cooking stir occasionally and prepare the chicken:
To prepare the Chicken Breasts or Tenders: 
Beat 3 eggs in a bowl, dip chicken breasts in  the egg and then dip into flour and fry in 2 Tblsp oil until the chicken is done.  Put chicken into a baking dish and pour sauce over the chicken and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Serve with Rice

When Christy made this, she suggested adding pineapple chunks  and bell peppers into it, so she did and it was yummy!

And now for the nourishing of our souls:
Sweet and Sour reminds me so much of life, as we have both sweet and sour moments in our daily lives! In order to experience joy, we first have to know sorrow.  Being a single mom, there are times when my life can get lonely (even though I still have lots of people around me) but I work at a doctor office and I watch many people come in together, husband and wife, and they talk about anything and everything sharing the day and laughing and as I watch them, I realize what I am missing out on, and that causes me to feel lonely sometimes, and the other day I read this article in the August Ensign, go here to read and  my favorite part is where she said:
"Two thoughts came into my mind. One was the words of a poem my grandfather used to quote titled “When God Wants a Man.”1 It says that when the Lord wants to mold a person “to play the noblest part,” He “makes him lonely so that only God’s high messages shall reach him.” I felt that this was happening to me, and oh, I wanted to hear those “high messages”!

So I decided in my being lonely, good things can come, I can become closer to God and hear is messages for me!
So you see, sweet and sour!
Enjoy today, and go visit an older single sister in your neighborhood or ward, take them a treat and just give them a hug!

No comments:

Post a Comment