Wednesday, August 8, 2012

My Favorite and Only Whole Wheat Bread I will Make

Okay, thanks to my favorite daughter in law Krista Marshall Harrah, I am posting this TODAY! Her little boy Jaxon begs for my cinnamon toast every time he comes over, so I keep homemade bread on my counter just for him! But I found this recipe on the sisters cafe at this link but of course I have tweaked it a bit, so here is my version, and yes, the first thing I do when I make bread is get out my old grinder and grind up whole wheat, I buy the big bags of white whole wheat found at Winco for only $15.00, and keep them in my buckets I already had. The secret to my bread and why it is so FLUFFY is because I use the wheat gluten and dough enhancer, both of which I buy at Winco for only 3.50 or 4.00 a can, I think you can buy it at WalMart as well and I will keep my eyes open to see where else you can buy it, but I keep those stocked on my counter for when I make bread!


Yummy, Easy Whole Wheat Bread (4 medium loaves)

4 cups hot tap water (helps offset the cool can of milk)
1 (12oz) can evaporated milk
3 Tblsp instant yeast (like SAF)
2/3 cup oil
2/3 cup honey (use the same measuring glass as the oil and the honey slides right out)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup white flour
4 Tblsp vital wheat gluten
4 Tblsp dough enhancer
1 1/2 Tblsp salt
10-12 cups whole wheat flour (I used white wheat: approx 8c wheat berries= 12 c flour)
Grind your wheat (in your electric wheat grinder) while getting everything else ready. Then, using a Bosch or other heavy duty mixer, combine ingredients in the order given, mixing well after half the flour, then add the other half of flour and salt. Add a little extra white flour as needed if dough is too sticky. Knead in mixer for 6-7 minutes. Dump out dough on your ‘Rolpat’ or if you don’t have one, pour a little oil on your countertop and spread with your hand. Form into a long log, then divide into 5 loaves. Form each loaf into a log shape and place in medium sized nonstick bread pan. Press down the sides of each dough piece to fill the bottom of the pan, leaving the top round and smooth. Turn on your oven to 200 degrees and then turn off.  Put the four bread pans of dough into the oven and let it sit for 30 minutes or 35 min. Then turn the oven to 350 and set your time for 33 minutes.  Remove from oven to wire racks and brush tops of hot loaves with butter, if desired. Let cool about 10 minutes, then remove from pans and let cool completely before slicing. (if you can wait that long!!)
Notes:  I dont measure if I use 12 cups flour or not, I go by if the dough looks right and by that I mean if it is all gathered together, if you add too much flour it ruins it, so it is better to have less flour than more.  You can half this recipe and do it in a Kitchen Aid.
This really is the quickest and easiest way to make bread, as you mostly dump all the ingredients in, let mixer do the kneading, pour into bread pans, let the oven do the rising, and then bake, and the aroma in your kitchen is out of this world when this bread is baking!  sometimes the hardest part is just grinding my wheat flour! (and that is not hard at all)
You can have hot homemade bread in less than 2 hours! I make this recipe like every two or three days because I share a loaf with my neighbor and we eat it for toast and oatmeal, sandwiches and garlic toast for dinner! YUM  try it, if I did not explain this right or you have any questions after making it, please write a comment!

POST UPDATE:  MAKING BREAD DOES TAKE PRACTICE AND KNOWLEDGE! I FOUND THIS TUTORIAL AND IT SHOWS WHAT I WAS SAYING IN MY RECIPE, PLEASE READ THIS FOR PICTURES, IDEAS, AND HOW TO:

HERE
For the nourishing of our souls: Okay, since you get my favorite and most requested bread recipe and the thing that has made me popular in my ward (they say "there goes that girl who makes the best bread") ha, you get my most favorite song, I heard it on KLOVE and found it here  Seriously, the best song ever, brings tears to my eyes, Christ is with us all the time! It is called "All This time" by Britt Nicole
And now for my challenge for each of you:  Today or Tomorrow I want you to make my chocolate bundt cake, my seond post, (I have a yellow cake in my bundt pan baking as I type) and take it to someone in need, pray about who you should take it to and then take it to them, and then I want you to comment and let me know what you did or how it went, I promise you will go to bed with a happy heart!  and of course it doesnt have to be chocolate, you can do a white cake or yellow or strawberry, just BAKE IT!

3 comments:

  1. LOVE this song! Thanks for sharing, I came upon Kari Jobe through listening to your song, and I love her stuff too! Super good songs!(Find you on my knees, and Steady my Heart were a few..) Have you heard her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Shayla, glad you listened and I was going to share Kari Jobe next, she is good. If you know of any other great songs, let me! I want to get Britt Nicoles cd GOLD, all her songs on youtube were great and uplifting! Thanks for your comment, you deserve a prize for being the only one to comment! ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to do this challenge! But it will be next week! Thanks Mom, you are very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete