Thursday, August 23, 2012

Perfect Brown Rice

I was making a chicken and rice casserole in my crockpot today when my daughter Shauna walked in to visit.  As I was figuring out how to cook my brown rice, she told me she just posted a recipe from Our Best Bites on her blog, so I quickly went there and followed the instructions and can I just say my brown rice turned out fluffy and perfect!  Although I dont like to heat up the kitchen in the summer more than I have to, this definately was worth it.  I always read comments on other blogs, as readers share tips and their tried and true ideas, so I am going to post what this reader said, but I have not tried it, but for a back up I will post it here and try it out:
I used to cook my rice this way until I recently learned (from Cooks Illustrated) that you can cook your rice like pasta, in a large pot of water, then drain when it is done. The best part is that is washes all the starch off the rice and so it never clumps, even when it cools. I love it. I also don’t have to watch it as closely and the pan cleans up even easier than the oven method.

AND THIS ONE:

As someone who often doesn’t plan enough time for my brown rice to cook, I found the boiling it like pasta works great every time and it’s much quicker. Boil your rice in a big pot of water for 30 minutes. Drain it and immediately put it back in the pot and cover it with the lid. Let it sit for 10 minutes. It turns out perfect…everytime.

So for the perfect rice recipe which I made tonight and it was perfect!

1 1/2 cups brown rice
2 1/3 cups water (you can use chicken broth for added flavor)
2 tsp unsalted butter or vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt

(You can double this too, which is what I did.  Just put in 9 x 13 pan and cook the same amount of time)
Preheat oven to 375.  Spread the rice in a 8 inch square pan (or 9 x 13).  Bring water and butter or oil to a boil, either in the microwave or in a  saucepan.  Take it off the heat as soon as it starts to boil, then immediately stir in salt and pour water over rice in pan.  Cover pan tightly with 2 layers of foil or heavy duty foil.  Bake until tender, about one hour.
Remove from oven and uncover. Fluff rice with fork, then cover dish with a kitchen towel and let rice stand for 5 minutes.  Then uncover and let rice stand 5 minutes longer.  Serve.

It was fluffy and yummy and amazing! YIPPEE for brown rice that is healthier and good for you!! I loved it!

For the nourishing of our souls:

D&C 112:10
The Lord told the Prophet Joseph Smith, "Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers"
I have learned that humility-the teachable attitude demonstrated by the Savior- is the key that unlocks the door to receiving the Spirit of the Lord and to having loving relationships.  I have also learned that prayer is the language of humility.  Only the truly humble pray fervently, because they recognze how much they need the Lord's Spirit to guide them.  It is the Spirit that softens and changes our hearts. (from the book Eternal Families by Douglas Brinley and Daniel Judd)
May we work on being more humble and more teachable today!

No comments:

Post a Comment