Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pizza Dough - My Favorite Recipe

This recipe comes from the cookbook called The Food Nanny Rescues Dinner, her daughter went to college where my Shauna went, and Shauna came home one weekend telling me her friend's mother was writing a cookbook and I told her I wanted to buy one, I had no idea she was the Food Nanny, I love the cookbook!
This is a very quick and very easy recipe, I like to make it for my grandkids, and let them make their own pizza, you can whip up the dough and cook right away, no need to let it rise like other recipes

Basic Pizza Dough by Food Nanny

1 Tblsp active dry yeast
1 cup warm (105-115 degrees) water
2 Tblsp olive oil
1 Tblsp honey
1/4 tsp salt
3 to 4 cups all purpose flour (or use half whole wheat -half white)

Mix the yeast and water in a small bowl, cover, and let stand until foamy, about 5 to 10 min

Mix the oil, honey, salt, and yeast mixture in a large mixing bowl (I use my Kitchen Aid or Bosch), Add one cup of flour at a time, up to 3 cups, mixing well after each addition.  You may have to stir in the third cup of flour by hand, depending on your machine.

If the dough seems too wet, mix more flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until the dough is soft.  Mix in your Kitchen Aid for about 5 min.

Lightly grease pizza pan or cookie sheet with oil.  If making two or more thin crust pizza's, divide the dough and with rolling pin roll out dough on floured surface, gently stretch the dough to fill the pan.
(I just pull a ball of dough out of the bowl and with my hand form it into a kidsized circle, just using my hands to pull and stretch and form, I can get 2 to 3 kid sized pizzas on a pan)

Cover the dough with pizza sauce ( I just use my own homemade spaghetti sauce or Prego sauce or the food nanny has a recipe that goes like this:
Easy Pizza Sauce your Kids will Make
1   8 oz can tomato sauce
1/4  tsp dried basil
1/4  tsp oregano
1/4  tsp garlic or garlic salt
1/8  tsp ground black pepper
1 Tblsp sugar
Mix all together in small bowl

Then let the children put on what toppings they like, mozzarella cheese, olives, pepperoni, pineapple, mushrooms, bell pepper, bacon, etc.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
Bake 15 to 20 min on lowest oven rack

For a variation you can make 3 cheese pizza using  mozarella cheese, smoked gouda cheese and gruyere cheese!


For the nourishing of our souls:
Read in D&C 6:33
Fear not to do good, my sons, for whatsoever ye sow, that shall ye also reap; therefore, if ye sow good ye shall also reap good for your reward

It has been my experience that every good deed I have done for others has come back to me throughout my life, and mostly I have been paid back during the hardest times of my life, it makes me wish I had done MORE good things so I could continue to receive MORE good things in return!  But let me give you an example, when my kids were in high school, I would sometimes like to take their car at night when they were asleep and go fill it full of gas and not tell them.  And later in my life, during some hard times, one day I went to get in my car and my daughter had filled my car full of gas, it was such a nice surprise! Little things are such BIG things and its the little things that make memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment