Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Thanksgiving Pies

More recipes from Dana Day on her Thanksgiving Pies, I would like to include them on my blog as well

Here is Jayne Watson's Pie Crust Recipe:
 
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shortening, chilled
3 Tablespoons water
 
Whisk the flour and salt together in a medium size bowl.  With a pastry blender, cut in the cold shortening until the mixture resembles course crumbs.  Drizzle 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water over flour.  Toss mixture with fork to moisten, adding more water a few drops at a time until the dough comes together (it took me a lot more than 3 tbsp for this to happen.)
 
Gently gather the dough particles together into a ball.  Wrap in plastic wrap or put in a ziploc bag and chill for at least 30 minutes before rolling out. 
 
Roll out dough, and put in a pie plate.  Fill with desired filling. 
 
The hint with pie dough is don't over work it.  I would make each bath separately   That way you are not working with too much and get it just right.  It is easier to me this way too and actually pretty fast.  I just use the same big bowl.  This recipe only makes enough for a bottom filling.  So for apple I did double it.  But I would never more than double it at a time.  It worked fine though for two crust.  I halved the dough that time and patted into round dough balls and put in the bag to chill.  I liked that I could chill it and work on the fillings as we went along. 
 
We made Pumpkin:
My only hint here is I just use the Libby's Pumpkin.  The cream can.  The unspiced can.  Most people grab the brown label because it is already seasoned.  But, in my opinion it taste like barf.  It seriously is not hard to add your own spices and follow the recipe.  It is worth it.  I told Megan NEVER ever pick up the dark brown label, ALWAYS buy the cream label.  Make your pie crust.  Follow the recipe and pour into the unbaked pie shell and bake.  Normally takes around an hour.  To test if it is done I just stick a knife in the center and when it comes out clean it is done.  I don't even try testing it for at least 60 minutes.  :) This is the world's easiest pie.  If you are worried about the crust burning just do a foil tent over the top for the first half .
Don't buy them.  This is so much better. 
 
Apple Pie:
 
Here is the recipe for that:
 
Heat Oven to 350 degrees.
 
10 to 12 large green granny smith apples
1/4 cup sugar (a little more if you have a lot of apples)
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp. Flour
 
Peel apples.  Slice them into a large bowl.  Add all the sugar and spices and lemon juice etc.  Mix up well.  Pour into pastry crust.  Top with the second crust.  Make whatever cute designs you would like to make.  I always start my apple pie for the first hour with a foil tent.  My college roommate taught me this.  It keeps your crust from burning on the edges.  After about an hour I remove the tent and let it continue to bake.  It normally takes my pie another hour.  I like the apples really soft.  Mmmmmm.  Hint: make sure there is something to catch the drippings in case your pie boils over. 
Bake at 350 degree's for at least 60 minutes.  Mine always takes around  1 and a half hours to 2 hours.  I test it by sticking  a knife in it.  If the knife goes in and I can feel the apples are soft, I know it is done. 
 
Megan's favorite Pie is Lemon Meringue:
Here is my Great Grandma's Lemon Pie Recipe:
(however I will admit here I do not use her filling recipe.  Only because I have always used the way my Mom made it. 
 BUT, I do use her Meringue recipe.) 
 
I use the Jello Lemon Cook and Serve Recipe.  I make a pie crust and bake it.  Then pour the filling in.  Then I whip up my Great Grandma's Meringue Recipe.  Bake it.  I will give you her entire amazing Lemon Pie Recipe.  If you are braver than I you may want to try it.  I hear it is wonderful.
 
Lemon Meringue Pie
 by: Essie Rich Hiatt
 
2 1/2 cups sugar
7 1/2 tbsp. flour
10 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
3 3/4 cups boiling water
Juice of 4 lemons
5 egg yolks
1 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. lemon flavoring
 
Pastry crust:
 
How:
Mix Sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt.  Add boiling water and stir and cook over low heat or in double broiler.  Cook until clear.  Add egg yolks, slightly beaten, and cook 2 more minutes.  Add butter and lemon juice.  cool and turn into cooked pastry crust.  Spread with Meringue and bake 8 minutes in the oven at 450 degree's. 
 
Meringue: Beat egg whites (5 until still).  Add 2/3 cup powdered sugar and 1/3 cup granulated sugar.  Add 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar to keep meringue from weeping. Whip until stiff peaks form.  Spread meringue on pie and make pretty points.  Bake for 8 minutes at 450 degree's.  I actually only baked it at 400 degree's.  I would also check it at 4 minutes.  Mine was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment