Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Harrah's Chocolate Chip Cookies

This recipe is what has made me most famous.  My mother was  the best chocolate chip cookie maker and so I guess it runs in our genes, but I will admit, I have good cookie days and not so good cookie days, and I make the same recipe each time, so I guess it just depends on that day just how good my cookies will be, but with this recipe I have way more good cookie days and way more compliments.  I did put this in the Sandridge Ward Cookbook as Bob's sell your house cookies, as that is where I got the recipe, we bought a home from Mayor Bob Thurgood and each Sunday night when we drove up to see the house when deciding to buy and write up contract and all, he had made these cookies and the house always smelled good and we always left with a yummy feeling with our tummy.  I have tweaked the recipe a bit, so I will give you my recipe first and then his.

Sandee's version:

2 3/4 cup flour to 3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup butter flavored crisco shortening
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 to 3/4 cup rolled oats
1 pkg chocolate chips
1 cup nuts, optional
Combine flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside:  In large bowl combine butter, shortening, sugars, and vanilla and cream until fluffy.  Add eggs and mix well, Gradually add all but about 1/2 cup dry ingredients.  Mix rolled oats with remaining flour and stir into batter.  Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.  Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 9 to 10 minutes (I do 9 minutes, it is best to have cookies underbaked I actually penciled into my cookbook 10 min 25 sec as that seemed to work for the old oven I had) *Authors note:  I made the cookie dough and took it to my daughters house to bake while I babysat today and I originally said in this recipe to cook at 375 degrees, so I did that in her oven and at 10 min and practically burnt the cookies, so to be safe, lower it to 350 degrees and start at 9 minutes, her oven cooked them perfect in 9 min 30 sec at 350, I guess you just have to get to know your oven!

My daughter Shauna bought me two SILPAT cookie liners, the large size so I can use my jelly roll pans, they were about $20 a piece she said, but they make the PERFECT cookie, you do not have to grease your cookie sheet, and you just wipe them with paper towels when done and your cookie sheet is perfectly clean, you do not have to wash it, just put it away, I LOVE THEM, I believe you can buy them in any kitchen stores or find them on amazon  Put them on your Christmas list when people ask what to get you and you dont know what to say.  Start that list now and put it on the fridge!

Here is the original recipe:
Bob's sell your house cookies!
2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 whole egg
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup rolled oats
1 pkg chocolate chips
1 cut nuts optional.
The directions for recipe are same as above.  I just give you this recipe in case mine didn't totally turn out for you and you want to try this one and tweak it yourself!  I found adding more flour made the cookies stand up more and be more dense!

For the nourishing of our souls:

1 Thessalonians 5:17
Pray without ceasing

I like to listen to uplifting music on the radio so I listen to KLOVE 107.5 and one lady called in to say that as she goes about the day doing chores, for example, folding laundry, she will pray for each one of her children, or for family members.  So while doing dishes, instead of grumbling, say a prayer for each person in your family, your heart will be full of love for them and your dishes will be done quickly! 

No comments:

Post a Comment