Saturday, January 16, 2016

Whole Grain Honey Bran Muffins

I don't know why, but I saw a picture of these and just had to make them, maybe cuz it brings back good memories of when I would buy honey bran muffins at the bakery, thinking bran is good for you but seeing all the honey sticky stuff they put on top and wondering how fattening they are.  However, I loved these!

I found this recipe on Mels Kitchen Cafe, I LOVE LOVE her recipe site. And I love these muffins!  they do not have a sticky top, but that is good!

Whole Grain Honey Bran Muffins

Ingredients:

4 cups wheat bran ( I bought all bran cereal)
1 cup wheat germ (I did not have this so I used 5 cups wheat bran)
2 cups boiling water
3/4 cup melted coconut oil or melted butter (I used stick of melted butter and 1/4 cup melted coconut oil)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup honey
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/4 cups whole wheat flour  (I used my white flour as I was too tired to grind up my whole wheat flour,and too impatient)
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 Tblsp baking soda
2/3 cup milk
1 1/4 cups buttermilk  (I just used 2 cups buttermilk and no reg milk)

Directions:
In a large bowl combine the wheat bran and wheat germ.  Pour in the boiling water and stir to combine.  Let it rest 5 to 10 min
Stir in the coconut oil or butter, sugar, molasses, honey, eggs and vanilla.  
In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and soda.  
Whisk together the milk and buttermilk.
Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the muffin batter and mix until just combined.  Stir in 1/2 of the milk mixture.  Add another 1/3 of the dry ingredients, stirring just until combined.  Add the last half of the milk and stir together.  Add the final dry ingredients and mix just until combined (dont over mix or muffins might be dense)
Let the batter rest for 20 to 30 minutes if you have time.  
Preheat oven to 350
Fill lightly greased muffins tins about 2/3 full and bake for 18 to 22 min (Mine were just right at 18 min) until the tops spring back lightly to the touch. 
 Dont overbake, we dont want dry muffins.
Cooled muffins can be stored covered at room temp for 2 to 3 days.  or you can freeze them.

You can go here to see pic

No comments:

Post a Comment