Friday, January 15, 2016

Chicken Tetrazinni

I made a casserole for dinner tonight and I think it was pretty good.  I will make it again!  It could be done meatless and just add veggies (like zucchini and broccoli and pepper and onions cooked.)
but Lacey thought I should have made it a bit saucier, so 
I suggest you 1 1/2 the sauce (which does not mean double , it means do it as it says but then also add 1/2 more of each ingredient, for example, it calls for stick of butter, do one stick and half of another stick, got it?)

Chicken Tetrazzini

6 cups chicken, cooked and diced
8 oz wide noodles
1/2 lb grated american cheese
White Sauce:
1 stick butter
1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 med. onion, grated (or chopped real fine)
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp curry powder (this made it taste good)
3 pt milk  (I think that means 3 pints, which is 6 cups milk, however I used 2 cans chicken broth and the rest milk)
1 jar sliced mushrooms (I used fresh mushrooms and sauteed them)
1 green pepper, diced small
1/2 tsp black pepper

Cook noodles, butter them well, and set aside.
Put in butter in big sauce pan and let it melt, saute the onion, green pepper, and mushrooms.  Then stir in the flour, using a whisk, (mine always clumps together, once it is all clumpy then I add liquid)  
Stir in chicken broth and milk, with whisk mix it all together well and keep stirring until thickened.  Add in your salt, pepper, paprika and curry  (I added them right after the milk).  I put just a bit more curry.  Stir until sauce is thickened.
Place noodles and chicken in 3 quart oblong casserole pan.  Add sauce and sprinkle cheese on top.  Bake 30 min at 350.
This recipe says it serves 16 (maybe more like 10 to 12)
Yummy!
I served it with my homemade bread sticks and it was TO DIE FOR! 
for extra richness, you could use half and half instead of milk, but I loved the chicken broth flavor, so I would definately add that! we used one can chicken broth and one can beef broth as I couldnt find two cans of chicken and it was still good!

I just found another recipe like this one, however they added frozen broccoli cooked and drained onto the noodles when you add the chicken.  They also used a can of French Fried Onions and during the last five minutes of baking time added the onions to the top and finished baking.  I think that sounds yummy!

Thought for the day:
( I found it on facebook, not sure of the source)

We get so worried about being pretty. Let's be pretty kind. Pretty funny.  Pretty smart. Pretty strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment