Thursday, September 4, 2014

Ultimate Beef Stroganoff

Okay, I just made this last night, and it was as good and ultimate as the title says!  It was so easy as well.  You cook it in the crockpot which makes it easy! I got it from www.melskitchencafe.com or here  for a picture of this yummy stuff.  I used two packages of stew meat and served it on rice with peas and it was very good!

Ultimate Beef Stroganoff

Ingredients:
2-3 pounds stew meat (or a 3 lb chuck roast, cubed)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1/4 tsp garlic salt (I used minced garlic and like 1 to 2 Tblsp)
1 Tblsp Worcestershire sauce (I used 4 or 5 Tblsp  I love worcester)
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 Tblsp ketchup (I used 2 or 3)
1/3 cup flour
6-7 Tblsp apple juice or water (I used apple juice)
4-8 ounces sliced mushrooms (I forgot to put those in)
1/2 cup sour cream
Directions:
Place the stew meat, salt, pepper, and onion in the slow cooker.  Stir to distribute the seasonings and onion.  
In a small bowl, combine the garlic salt, worcestershire sauce, beef broth, and ketchup.  Pour over the meat  (I just poured in all that stuff, I skipped mixing it in separate bowl and it turned out fine, and I did add minced garlic)

Cook for 7 to 9 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high in crockpot

About 30 minutes before serving, combine the flour and apple juice in a small bowl, whisking vigorously to combine well.  The roux should be thick but still pourable so add a tablespoon of apple juice or water at a time to thin, if needed.  (I didn't need to, mine was just right)  Pour the flour mixture into the slow cooker, whisking quickly to mix in the roux with the stew meat and juices and to avoid lumps.  Add the mushrooms and stir.

Cook on high for 30 minutes.  Stir in 1/2 cup sour cream right before serving.  
Serve over pasta, rice or baked potatoes.

Notes:  Freezable Meal:  The leftovers of the stroganoff can be frozen.  I store the leftovers in a freezer safe container and then thaw in the refrigerator (usually takes a day) and reheat over medium low heat in a saucepan on the stove!
YUMMY!



No comments:

Post a Comment