Monday, May 12, 2014

Healthy Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie

Yes, you saw correctly sweet potato shepherd pie.  I know.  I thought that was weird too.  But then. . . . .I tried it and I fell in love with it.  I make it several times a month.  I got the recipe from here  from Shauna's friend Yvonne over at Tried and Tasty .  She has some wonderful recipes to try.  Really, do try this, you will like it!

Healthy Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie

1 lb ground turkey
1/2 medium onion, diced
3 Tblsp worcestershire sauce (I added this to her recipe)
3 Tblsp light sodium soy sauce (I added this to her recipe)
1/2 pckg of taco seasoning mix (I added this to her recipe)
1 Tblsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano 
1 15 oz can of corn, drained  (I used a bag of frozen white corn)
1 14 oz can green beans, drained
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
2 cups sweet potatoes, cubed (about 3 med)
1/2 cup shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 350. In a medium pot, boil sweet potato cubes until soft; approx. 10-15 minutes (depending on the size of your cubes). While sweet potatoes are boiling, heat olive oil on medium-high in a large pan and saute onions until translucent; 3-5 minutes. Add ground turkey; brown and season with garlic salt, salt & oregano and soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Add corn, green beans and tomato sauce. Heat throughout. Once potatoes have softened, drain all water and mash with a potato masher, hand held immersion blender, or hand mixer. Spoon meat mixture into the bottom of a casserole dish and cover with prepared mashed potatoes. Sprinkle the pie with shredded cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted.

(My two cents:  I like to bake the sweet potatoes and then I peel them and put them in bowl and use a mixer to make them like mashed potatoes.  You do not need to add anything to them, but I sometimes add a Tblsp of butter or so as I mix them up.)  They do take over an hour to bake, so I bake potatoes on Sundays and keep them in my fridge for the week)
Also:  I like to add 1/2 package of taco seasoning to the ground turkey, it adds so much yummy flavor to the meat.

For a picture, look at the web site I above linked you to, they are truly yummy!

For the thought today:
By helping others come unto Him  You will find that you have come unto Him yourself - Henry B Eyering

I love the theme:  Come unto Christ


No comments:

Post a Comment