Sunday, February 24, 2013

Potato Cheese Soup from Shauna

I wanted to make potato soup for my mom and dad and I could not find the recipe posted, so I had to find where I kept it and post this.  This is one of our favorites and we got it from Shauna when she went to Snow College and one of her roommates made this.  It might look hard but it really is very easy!

Potato Cheese Soup from Shauna
1-2 carrots, chopped into bite size pieces
1/2 onion chopped, diced
3 medium potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
2 cans chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
6 Tblsp butter
6 Tblsp flour
5 cups milk or half and half
3 cups Monterey Jack Cheese or Cheddar Cheese

In one pan:
Cut onion as fine as you can and saute in butter
Add 2 cans chicken broth, carrots, potatoes, pepper, salt, garlic powder.  Add tomatoes.  Boil until onions and potatoes are tender.

In another pan:
Melt 6 Tblsp, butter, add flour, add milk, Using a whisk, stir together real good. Cook for a minute or two until thickened
Pour the pan with vegetables into this pan.
Bring to Boil, Take off stove, Add the 3 cups cheese.  Put lid on to help melt the cheese and keep warm, and to soften/thicken.
Stir all together before serving
If soup needs to be reheated, just do bowls separately in microwave or the soup will burn.

*I have added broccoli to this as well and cauliflower, yummy!

For the nourishing of the soul:
Here is one of my favorite scriptures:
D&C 88:63
"Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.  Whatsoever ye ask the Father in my name it shall be given unto you, that is expedient for you"

WE talked about this in SS today, the most important thing we can do is have a good relationship with our Father in Heaven.  WE need to PRAY OFTEN!, as we draw near to Him, He is always there for us.  He loves us so much and wants to bless us, however, because we came to earth to be tried and tested and endure adversity in order to build trust in Him and to build our character, He cannot always answer our prayers to everything we want, He will do "that which is expedient for you" so as we Trust Him, we will know that some of our answers need to be No, and sometimes they get to be YES! 
I love my Savior and my Heavenly Father!




No comments:

Post a Comment