Saturday, October 4, 2014

Mom's Haystacks (Cookies)

Us kids grew up on Mom's Haystacks.  I am pretty sure we all loved them, I think Linda loves them the most, and me second!  They are only for people who like coconut though!  My mom still mails them to me and Linda for our birthdays, so they seem to last several days and still be yummy!

Mom's Haystacks

1 cup egg whites (about 6)
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 cups Macaroon Coconut
1 1/2 cups Flake Coconut
(so I asked my mom what the heck is macaroon coconut, I can't find it in stores, she say just use all sweetened flake coconut, so make that 3  1/2 cups Flake Coconut)
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup pecans
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour ( you might need to add 1/2 cup flour)
*Beat egg whites until stiff, beat in sugar a little at a time.  Add vanilla and  coconut, Fold in flour and salt.
Add choc chips and pecans
Bake on foil covered and greased cookies sheet (I just use my silpat and it works AMAZING, get you one I say!)  
Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown (I just made these and forgot to write down the time, it seems they take around 10-11 min, but I can't remember)

Now make sure you beat the egg whites good before adding sugar, I added my sugar too soon and it makes the cookies more flat, otherwise they are like little round mounds (like a haystack!), they are still yummy if you do it wrong, but try to do it right!

I love my mom.  When I miss her, I bake these and remember all the good cookies she would bake for us kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment