Wednesday, August 27, 2014

7 Layer Bars or Congo Bars

When I was pregnant with Lacey I had an addiction to 7 layers bars, I made them every day for like a month!  I am still not tired of them!  I used to just use the recipe you can find online, however I do like more of a crust base (like you get at Great Harvest) and I found this recipe in Fat Witch Brownies by Patricia Helding and made them, and now I wont make anything but these!  Some people have commented to me when I make them that there is maybe too much butter , so you can cut back by a Tblsp or two if you want!
(Also, I like to  make these in a 9 x 13, so just double the ingredients and it works out great, I still only use the one can sweetened condensed milk though)

7 Layer Bars or Congo Bars

Crust:
1/4 unbleached flour
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs (about 11 whole crackers, crushed)
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
7 Tblsp unsalted butter softened to room temp (I use salted butter)

Topping:
1  1/4 cups sweetened flaked coconut 
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup chopped pecans or other nuts (optional)

Directions:
Grease a 9 in by 9 in baking pan with butter, dust with flour and tap out excess flour. (or double the ingred and use 9 x 13)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
To make the crust, measure the flour, baking powder, and salt and then sift together into a medium bowl.  Stir in the graham cracker crumbs and light brown sugar.  Mix well.  (I just put all the ingredients together and mix well, I don't sift)
Cut the butter into a few pieces and mix into the dough with a fork (I use my hands and mix it all around till the chunks are pea sized)
until the dough is crumbly.  Continue mixing with your hands until smooth.  Spread the dough evenly in a thin layer in the prepared baking pan, pressing down with your hands.  Bake for 10 minutes or until the crust is slightly golden .  Remove from the oven and set aside.  
Sprinkle on the coconut, butterscotch chips and choc chips and nuts and then sweetened condensed milk.  
Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is well set and light brown. 
Watch carefully near the end of baking time and make sure the top does not become too bubbly or too dark. 
Remove from oven and cool on rack 2 hours 
cut just before serving!
YUMMY!

No comments:

Post a Comment