Sunday, November 4, 2012

Wild Rice and Chicken Soup

I love soup and I just realized I have not posted very many soup recipes.  Today I am making this soup and had to "search" for my recipe, I am so glad to have all my favorites in one spot now!

I got this from another food blog but cant remember where I got it, when I do find the source I will link my recipe to it, I like to give credit to where I find recipes


Wild Rice and Chicken Soup
1 8 oz pkg of wild rice, cooked ( I buy the boxed ones)
1 large onion, diced
3 large carrots, sliced
1 1/2 ribs celery, sliced
8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup butter (you can not use any if you dont like the fat but I do use it!)
Diced, cooked chicken (about 2-3 chicken breasts worth. . or as much chicken as you prefer)
1 cup flour
8 cups hot chicken broth/or stock
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup half and half
Prepare your rice
Saute the onion, celery, carrots and mushrooms in butter (or olive oil) for about 3 minutes or until veggies are just soft.  Sprinkle in the flour, stirring and cooking until flour is mixed in, but do not let it begin to brown.  Slowly add the chicken stock, stirring until all the chicken stock, and flour/butter/veggie mix is well blended.  Add the rice.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Heat thoroughly and stir in the cream.  Add the chicken.  Heat gently for 20 min to an hour, but do not let it boil.
YUMMY!
I cooked my wild brown rice last night (it takes 45 min ) and my chicken last night, then put it in the fridge for this morning so I can whip together the soup, and now I am off to make this, served with some of my homemade bread and cinnamon butter!
Happy Daylight Savings Day, I get an extra hour today!

oh yes, for the nourishing of our souls:
I like this scripture found in D&C 49:26-28
"Behold, I say unto you, go forth as I have commanded you: repent of all your sins: ask and ye shall receive; knock and it shall be opened unto you, Behold, I will go before you and be your rearward: and I will be in your midst, and you shall not be confounded.  Behold, I am Jesus Christ, and I come quickly.  Even so Amen.

We are in the last days! We must repent daily and be prepared, and it is so comforting to know that Christ is always with us! One time I had to go to the tax office (I owed taxes when Dan left me) and I was so afraid, I remembered this scripture and prayed that I would not have to face the scary tax people alone, I prayed that Christ would be with me, before me and behind me (rearward) and I have to tell you, I was not scared as I knew I was not alone.  The tax officer was so kind to me and I felt strengthened and empowered that I could do this.  It all turned out okay! I still owe the taxes but it all turned out okay!

No comments:

Post a Comment