Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

If I ever lost my Sandridge Ward Cookbook I would be lost, as I seem to pull a lot of my recipes from my old ward friends.  This one is from Cathi Olsen and is one of my favorite!

Mom's Pumpkin Cookies
1/2 cup butter (it called for shortening)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 egg
1 cup pumpkin
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
Chocolate chips (I like the mini ones)
1/2 cup nuts, optional and 1 cup raisins optional

Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add egg and mix well.  Add vanilla and mix.  Sift flour, baking powder, seasonings, soda, and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with pumpkin.  Beat after each addition until smooth.  Fold in chocolate chips, raisins, nuts.  Drop on greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 for 10 min (start at 9 min to check for doneness, I like them more undone than too done!)
These cookies freeze well if you have any left over.

Nourishment for our souls:
Last night was our election for President, and as soon as the media announced who they predicted won, hundreds of texts and facebook comments began appearing, and my daughter read them all to me, and I got on my own facebook and read a comment from one man who said:   What are you guys teaching your kids, Like it or not he is the president of this country...The country we live in with our families. The country that is by far better than any other country in this world.. So be mad or be happy but do not teach your children that they should not respect our president....no matter who he is. We are all blessed to be a part of this great country. Bigotry is taught to us by people that claim to love us...Get over it all ready.

I thought he made a good point, and then I read this:

We congratulate President Obama on winning a second term as President of the United States.

After a long campaign, this is now a time for Americans to come together. It is a long tradition among Latter-day Saints to pray for our national leaders in our personal prayers and in our congregations. We invite Americans everywhere, whatever their

political persuasion, to pray for the President, for his administration and the new Congress as they lead us through difficult and turbulent times. May our national leaders reflect the best in wisdom and judgment as they fulfill the great trust afforded to them by the American people.

We also commend Governor Romney for engaging at the highest level of our democratic process which, by its nature, demands so much of those who offer themselves for public service. We wish him and his family every success in their future endeavors.

~The First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints~





I am so glad for a living prophet who shows us the way!


1 comment:

  1. I am so glad the Church put out a statement about he election. With all the negitivity, we so needed to be reminded of our first priority. Thanks!
    Sundi

    ReplyDelete