Monday, January 21, 2019

Shredded Beef Enchiladas

So we get together once a month for birthday celebrations and for this month I chose to make shredded beef enchiladas, so I looked on the internet for any yummy recipes and I found this one from www.gonnawantseconds.com  and you make the enchilada sauce which is really quite good.  I tweaked the recipe a bit so if you want to see the original and a picture of the enchiladas, go here

Shredded Beef Enchiladas
Ingredients:
3 lbs boneless beef chuck Roast
2 Tblsp bacon grease or vegetable oil
1 large yellow onion chopped
4 cloves garlic rough chopped
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 cup water
2 Tblsp chili powder
1 Tblsp ground cumin
1 Tblsp dried oregano
3 bay leaves
2 Tblsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tblsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp sugar
salt and pepper
8 in flour tortillas
sour cream
2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese shredded
2 cups monterey jack cheese shredded
1/2 cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped

Salt and Pepper the roast, in a large stove top pan brown the roast on both sides, about 5 min per side.  Remove roast from pan and place in a crockpot (she uses the oven but I prefer crockpot) .
Then in that same pan you browned the roast in, add the onions and garlic, cooking over med low heat and saute until soft and translucent (about 7 min).  I used my blender and blended the crushed tomatoes (because I knew kids would be eating it and they dont like chunks of tomato, but if you like tomato chunks, skip the blender part) and then pour the blended tomatoes into the pan, add water chili powder, cumin, oregano, bay leaves (I did not have any bay leaves so I left them out and it was still good), apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and sugar.  Bring the mixture to a boil for a few minutes.(I also added one reg size soup can of tomato soup to this mixture just to thicken it up and add a little more flavor)  Pour this mixture over the roast in crock pot.  
I cooked my beef roast for about 8 to 9 hours. When it was fork tender, I took out the meat and put onto a platter and shredded with two forks and cut into smaller bite size pieces, and then put that in a pan and add a cup of the enchilada sauce to the meat.

To assemble enchiladas:
Preheat oven to 350
Add 1/2 to one cup of pan sauce to bottom of 9 x 13
Set aside 1 cup of cheddar and 1 cup jack cheese to top the enchiladas with
Fill each tortilla with an equal amount of shredded beef about 1/3 cup, 1 1/2 Tblsp sour cream , a layer of cheddar and a a layer of jack cheese.  Roll up tightly and place seam side down in baking dish.
Ladle sauce from the crockpot evenly over top of enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese (she says you will probably have extra sauce)
Bake in oven about 20 to 25 min
garnish with cilantro if desired.

She says you can use the extra sauce for eggs ranchero or to make chicken enchiladas.

These were very yummy, I will defintaley make these again and I loved the homemade sauce recipe part!
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment