Friday, October 20, 2017

Christy's Caramel Corn


Christy made this at school and then came home and made it for us, it has become our family favorite! It is the best and easiest caramel popcorn ever!



Christy’s caramel corn (from school recipe)
½ cup brown sugar
2 T corn syrup
½ stick butter or margarine (1/4 cup)
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
¼ cup popcorn, pop in air popper and set aside

This said to use a double boiler and put brown sugar in, the corn syrup, and the butter, add baking soda  , add salt, stir ingredients and cook until mixture becomes thickened , it will be about 5 minutes after ingredients are blended, Pour over popped corn, stir and serve while fresh!

You can probably just pop two or three bags of microwave popcorn, be sure to get all the unpopped kernels out and then put this mixture over it all.  Seems like we always doubled the recipe.  good luck, this was the recipe you had written down and we all know it is yummy! 

OKAY:  so I just found this same recipe on Mel's Kitchen Café blog but she does double it, so here is the recipe to double it:

10 to 12 cups popcorn
1 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
1/2 cup butter (8 TBLSP)
1/4 cup corn syrup
Pinch of salt (She uses coarse, kosher salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
1.  Place popcorn in large bowl (you'll want extra room in bowl for tossing the popcorn with caramel)
2.  In a medium saucepan, add the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt.  Heat the ingredients over medium low until the butter is melted and the ingredients are combined.  Increase the heat to medium and bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring often.
3.  Cook for 3 to 4 min stirring often

4.Take off the heat , quickly whisk in the baking soda and vanilla (the mixture will foam and bubble) (see note about adding marshmallows below)
5.  Immediately pour the caramel over the popcorn in a slow steady drizzle, tossing the popcorn to evenly coat in the caramel mixture.  The caramel will set up and harden a bit as it cools so mix as quickly as you can
6. Serve immediately
NOTE: for softer, gooier popcorn, use less popcorn.  Also if you want to amp up the gooey factor (for a marshmallow vibe) stir in 8 to 10 large marshmallows after the caramel mixture has simmered.

Yields 12 to 14 cups caramel popcorn!

For the nourishment of the soul:

Today before I headed off to work I said my morning prayers.  I asked for guardian angels to protect me and my family and I then asked for help with several items, including that  I wouldn't get in a car accident (nor my children/grandchildren/parents).  So when I found myself going through a construction site and I made a wrong turn and found myself going in the wrong lane and into the head on traffic, which a car was coming right at me head on, I panicked and tried to jump over the curb (median) and my car straddled the median at a diagonal, making it so cars on both sides could go around me but I was stuck.  I knew I must have popped a tire or scraped the under car causing damage, and I quickly called 911 and then waited by the side of the road . Within two minutes a big work truck with 3 big men hopped out and said they could help me, they stopped traffic, had me back out, they lifted my car up and off the median, and I drove off!  just like that.  rescued.
I can't stop Thanking Heavenly Father for sending me those 3 guardian angels to help me and for protecting me from hitting someone head one. 
Moral of story:  Pray every morning for Guardian Angels and for Protection!  Prayers are heard and answered.
So grateful.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment