Saturday, October 13, 2018

Cauliflower Curry Quinoa Kale Soup



 I went to a women's retreat where we served delicious nutritious food, this recipe is from Elizabeth Grange, and this soup is so so so good.  I have had to make a few substitutions when I don't have all the ingredients so I will post those below:

Curried Cauliflower/Kale Soup

Ingredients :

* 5 cups of cauliflower florets (about 3 cups when "riced")
* 2-3 Tbsp curry powder or curry seasoning
*1 tsp garlic powder
* 1/2 tsp cumin
* 1/2 tsp paprika
* 1/4 tsp sea salt
* 2-3 Tblsp Olive oil for roasting
* 3/4 cup red onion chopped (or yellow is fine)
* 1 tsp minced garlic
* 2 tsp olive oil or avocado oil
* 8 kale leaves with stems removed and chopped (can use bagged)
* 2 cups shredded carrots (or cut in coins)
* 5 cups broth (vegetable or chicken)
* 2 cups cooked lentils (or canned) or white beans or pinto beans
* 2 cups cooked quinoa
* 1/2 tsp red pepper or chili flakes (less if you dont want as spicy)
*1/2 tsp black pepper
* salt to taste

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 400 F .  In a small bowl, toss your cauliflower florets with the curry powder, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, salt and 3 Tbslp oil.

2. Spread the cauliflower florets on a baking dish or roasting pan.  Place in oven and roast for 20 to 22 min until tender but not overcooked, (even slightly under cooked.)  Remove and set aside.

3. While the cauliflower is cooling, prep the rest of your veggies, cook quinoa and lentils (or use canned lentils)  

4. Next, place cauliflower florets in a food processor or blender and pulse a few times until the cauliflower is chopped or "riced".
5.  Once all the cauliflower is riced and kale veggies are chopped, prepare your cooking pot.  Place onion, 2 tsp oil, and minced garlic in large stock pan, saute for 5 min until fragrant

6.  Next add in your broth, milk, veggies, cauliflower "rice", and the red chili pepper and black pepper.

7.  Cook until all veggies are soft and add cooked quinoa and lentils at the very end. 

8.  Add dash of sea salt if desired once ready to serve.

So when I made this, I used canned lentils, and the next time I made it I did not have those on hand so I used white beans and pinto beans. Also, I prefer my carrots to be coined instead of shredded, so I prefer to cut them in circles (coins) for the soup.
Also I had some bagged kale and just used that.
Also I put a little extra curry in the actual soup at the end of the cooking as I really like the taste of it! (I have a mild curry seasoning)
I can eat this everyday! It is so so so yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment